lunes, noviembre 21, 2005

SECOND DAY IN KINGSTON.

When I first showed up at the hostel, my original booking was fro 3 nights. Given what I saw, I turned it 2 nights. Note that althought I said precisely that I was just gonna stay for 2 nights, but, stupidly, they insisted on charging the card for 3 nights, and then crediting back for the last spare night. Come on guys… not kidding… I know how your “credit back” and “changes” work like… so get the phone and call whoever the manager is…

It happened that we met him everyday the guv… he used to show up unexpectedly to look after his business. Apparently, you beat hard those Jamaicans (and he was Jamaican himself) or otherwise they steal all money out of you and you end up by shutting down the business.
The second day, was a weird one. At some point it became awkward. We were doing stuff together but not really knowing how we ended up to do it and not being able to tell what the roles were. When I got up there were some voices coming out from the living room. I guess I should say good morning… maybe just because everybody is around… or maybe because I want to… or just maybe because we agreed on doing stuff together during the day… or maybe just because I’ m a polite Spanish guy que ha ido a colegio de pago… or just maybe because I want to… so I did… “Hey good morning everybody,… how you guys are doing…?- Really good! Just waiting on you… we gotta go to the market to buy the saltfish and haches…-all right… just let me get a quick shower an I’ll be ready…” they really have some temper those Irish pals… but it’s something kind of cute when coming from a red hair aged 25 natural from Co. Armagh.
The supermarket was really close,… but you don’t wanna walk in Kingston, you don’t even walk in Baltimore so why would you in Kingston? So Ebert took us to the supermarket driving my car. It was an awkward situation once again… you don’t really know what’s going on… it seemed that we had Jamaican of our own,… so I told her and she goes “it’s fucking good…”…yeah … it’s really nice... He first took us to the
local market… a sort of parking lot with huts selling all kind of good looking fruits, yams, bananas, pineapple, famous hache… it gave the impression to be somehow in El Escorial fleamarket with a clove of African scent… really colourful and exotic… and, above all, it was kind of cute hanging with an Irish girl all through… and felt really comfortable going back and forth the market chatting about this or that other stall or fruit… un momento de intimidad en la vida del viajero penitente y desarraigado…

It became awkward because you don’t really know who’s paying for lunch (it ended up being me), who’s tipping the guy, how much you should be tipping… you don’t know whether it is a hostel-guided event or it’s me who paid a guy to take us out… and if so… should we be sharing expenses?... apparently not…

It was funny how we got lunch ready. I made myself clear when I said I was not touching a single bit of food before cooking. Nice to see Ebert calling out T and explaining how the hache should be cleaned up and got rid of the poisonous seeds and she, pretending she was paying attention… I tried my best to stay long at the kitchen… standing that deep stench of fat fried and refired over the years and embedded on the grid of the cooker, the walls the smokes fan… freaking drops of fat pouring on the walls leaving a yellow trace all over…
It is a really tasty dish the saltfish and hache. It should be sided by boiled bananas and pressed fried flour. Como un puto gordo, me lo comí todo…

Once again it became awkward. We had lunch all together… so what then… we hang out…? What u fancy doing…? I know we talked about the beach… but… I don’t really fancy that… but.. we rather keep on hanging together… but… what for?... I mean… it’s not about whether I’ll be getting anything… (which I wouldn’t mind… puto cerdo…) but… doing something that I fancy that little like getting to the beach… just because… I rather do the Bob Marley museum… so I get to Ebert, and apparently the museum and the beach are on very opposite directions… so it’s either the museum or the beach… así que me acerco a la chavala… a ver que la cuento… un pokito de feedback a ver… “oye preciosa… que mira, que se me estaba ocurriendo que me dicen que el museo de BM está bastante bien… estaba pensado en acercarme…- y entonces va y no sé muy bien que me dice,… y yo miro con cara de circunstancias… como no sabiendo muy bien que es lo que me ha dicho,… pero vamos que creo que tuvo el descaro de decirme que muy bien, que de puta madre, que me dejan a mi en el museo y que luego la pueden llevar a ella a la playa… y yo ya flipándolo… pero bueno… la carne es débil… y el corazón más… y cuando se está sensible… se le sigue a donde sea,… así que nada,… de vuelta al negro y pa’lante,… la puta playa… a ver q tal… a lucir la carnes…

We first got to the Bob Marley studios. Pretty tight security,… at least for Jamaican and Spanish standards… of course nothing compared to US… a single fence, no carding… and then you get through to the records shop. At the back shop they have a huge warehouse with loads of different releases. I’m not a really familiar with the whole reggae industry, but any peaky, needy fan will be largely satisfied. It’s a bit of expensive though, US$50 per CD. There was Rastafarian doing some tests… was singing a capella swaying is head back and forth yelling some stuff… then I found out that one of the CD I bought was his. As I told T, not everybody in Belfast has a reggae CD bough out in Kingstom from the world famous Lion Studios… right…? Not at least on the side on the cit she lives in…. later I learned that I threw her on the side of the city she doesn’t live at… but all the pro life campaigning… the cross necklace… the one day united Ireland… I all sounded pretty nationalist didn’t it? I'll long remember that "come by"... it's funny how little stuff means a lot when you are in such sensitive mood...

We got to the beach. I don’t remember its name. pretty local no torurists. But some peddlers… and stalls… some bars… those Jamaican bars that are just a single hut, with a deck to get in, kind of narrow in the inside, the bar, a couple of stools, the bartender and the shelf with the dirinks… always painted in very vivid colours… violet, pink, blue, yellow… really nice. Since we were making it with M and E we were pretty covered from beggars and blaggers. We even became a curious, funny-to-talk-to guys,… it’s not always that two European guys hang out with a kingstonian girl and somewhere else’s man. M got a fett massage. T encouraged E to get his feet rubbed. Le tocó el turno al baño. Va la chavalita y me dice que si no me baño,… mira guapa… me da una vergüenza desparramar las carnes por acá… y eso que yo la había dicho… “well,… it´s not the best beach you can be at… not the most touristic one… but it’s at least genuine… local… real Kingstonian beach…-- not very sandy – not, just an informal one…--- are you now gonna show off your bikini? – ha ha –“ “you don’t bath? See what happens… is that I’ m so pale than as I get a freaking sun ray I burn I burn up” pero si que me metí en el agüita… y la niña creo que también… la vi a lo lejos… y voy a ver si me acerco… pero ya se había escapado… no tenía mal tipo… cuando nos íbamos acercando a la playa me suelta “I just learnt there they do have some inmates on the deathrow in Spanish Town”… oye… que de algo había que hablar ¿no…? Are you a lor into prolifecampaigning and that…-- it’s not as much about abortion and that but about death peanlaty and torture… what do you think about that…-- well,… I’d say that not having death penalty makes us better… but I don’t really mind seeing some people dying… and you? It seem that you are really concerned about that – there are so many people tortured everywhere…” mira que reivindicativa me ha salido la niña… luego un poco de mareo …. Pq unos se iban al bar… yo me iba otra vez al agua… y parecía que daba un poco de palo dejar la ropa por ahí tirada… pero se van unos al bar a echar unas moneditas en las slot machines… y yo le digo a la chavala… niña… me voy para la playa… a ver si se da cuenta de que no tiene que quedarse con los negritos y lo que tiene que hacer es quedarse conmigo y darme conversación… y la verdad que no recuerdo de que hablamos… pero anda que no estaba yo contento ni nada con mi irlandesita… cago’n riau… si es que además hablaba francés… vaya joyita… teníamos que haber hablado francés… a ver que tal…

Luego resultó que no era republicana… sino que venía del lado protestante, con el padre el ejército británico y se escapó por los pelos de un atentado del IRA… pero resulta que está aceptado que el norte se unirá al sur, en un período inferior a 20 años… al parecer… y los del norte, como pareció con Michael, el del O’Connors, que es de Derry… dicen siempre que son irlandeses, porque no van a decir que son británicos, les tomarían por ingleses, y son de todo menos ingleses… no tienen nada que ver con los ingleses… y a los ingleses les importa una mierda lo que pase en IdN… y yo que no puedo tener la boca cerrada and have to pull that episode I read on that book Brits about “how amazed were Englishmen when they found out they have doubledeck buses as well in Belfast”… pero sé algo que ella no… y es que hay dos condados del Ulster que tras la partición los dejaron en el Sur y no en NI porque eran de
Un poco de risas al comprar gorro de rasta… ya que a la niña se le había antojado desde el día anterior cuando lo vio en el concierto callejero ese al que fuimos… y yo encantado de que me preguntara cual es que le había quedado mejor… but i don’t do hats… the same way you don´t do bracelets… y más tarde que la niña se tenía que ir al día siguiente a Montego Bay…

Y luego ya resulta que el negrito se tiene que volver a casa porque tiene que agarrar el autobús y llevar a no se que niño a no se que colegio… pero bueno… si la irlandesita dice “Get up…!”… pues nada… como pendejo y para arriba… pero luego ese pequeño momento de confidencia de “When they are around you feel that safe that you make yourself so comfortable that you wish they were not around… but you then realise you are doing stuff you could not do weren’t they around…-- yeah… right…”

Y ya nos volvemos para casa… y tampoco recuerdo mucho más que es lo que hicimos… creo que nada… intentar convencer a la chavala para salir y tomar por algo por ahí en plan jamaicano… pero no había forma porque al día siguiente se iba hacia Montego Bay… ¿y ya sabéis quien se ofrecería para llevarla no? Pregunta M “Who´s gonna take you to the airport?—I will, it’s OK—and who’ll drive you back?---Patrick will—ok--- I’ll just ask you one thing, you’ll get me up early in the mornig, otherwise no way I’ll be making it, with a good breakfast---what do you want for breakfast?—don’t know… it’ ll be to to you… but something good…”

Ahora que me acuerdo sí… sí que hicimos algo,… fuimos al supermercado a compara algo de comida para la cena… alitas de pollo… y algo de pescado… especias para el sazonado… curry… arroz… muy nutritivo todo… luego os pongo unas fotitos del negrito preparando la cena… que hay que tener hambre o ser inconsciente para que te de hambre el guiso del pavo… como estaba con las manos sacadas de no sé donde mezclando el pollo con la manos… y limpiándose las manos no con agua y jabón… sino pasando el machete que estaba usando por las manos a modo de espátula para quitar toda la mierda… eso sí… para luego ponerla de vuelta en el cacerolo…
Y luego que si bebía té… que a ella no le gustaba el café… que cuando estuvo en USA la tuvieron no sé donde en WV sin tomar té ni nada y cuando volvió a casa se estuvo 3 días tomando solo té… ¿Pues vaya problema digestivo que te daría no? Y que te pasaba,… ¿Qué echabas de menos tu cuppa? Bueno… pues le entraron a la niña ganas de preparar té y ¿Quieres té? Pues si venga… You want it black? Y yo imbécil que no sé lo quiere decir por black… luego sí… pensando… como con el café… sin leche… pero vas de enterado… y vas y dices “Prince of Wales?” que es el té de Twinnings que tiene la fundita negra… que por cierto que a ver si compro agua para poder hacer una tacita… que el agua de aquí es mierda de la vaca Paca…
Pero oye… muy rico el té… y muy dentro la conversación… que si el sur de Irlanda tendrá fuerza para mover todo el norte… que parece ser que no… que se necesitan las arcas de la Seguridad Social británicas para aguantar todo el aparato del Norte… y que ha que se dedicaba… que su trabajo por excelencia sería el de Koffi Annan,…. Y yo la cuento la historia de la amiga de B la de V que se metió en la Cruz Roja… y mira que chulo… But she is Swiss intshe? Yeah… she’s—what happens is that delegations work really really bad… y ya no sé que más… and the accente... that beatiful irish accent... specially when talking food... she loved eating the girl... and cooking for all her friends... apparently she' ll call for a mexican and jamaican dinner to all her mates once back in Belfast...

When M started convincing her to stay that really cute… certainly she was rather looking afer her business because it proved really profitable having us at the hostel… but no way… after a lovely conversation in where I felt human again and I realised how crappy Baltimore is… fucking hell,… no way to find here anything really worthy…

Bueno,… y como imbécil me quedo dormido en el sofá… para así tener más fácil el despertarme al día siguiente,… el muñeco Patrick esnifando del mechero… y el italiano que estaba que se subía por las paredes… por cierto que me metí la cámara en el bolsillo… muy buen rollo… pero que no se le escape la mano al negrito… o a quien sea… después de hacer la cena creo que le di $5… como sobornándolo para que nos acompañara al día siguiente a llevar a la niña al aeropuerto… pero que si quieres arroz Catalina…
Sobre el italiano se pueden decir muchas cosas… el pobre estaba ya quemado porque cuando volvimos de la compra de por la noche el ya había estado esperando un rato para hacer el check-in… pero hubo más…
· Llegó M tarde y tuvo que esperar.
· Le habían perdido la maleta y el pobre no podía ni lavarse los dientes.
· Tenía 35 años y había tenido novia desde los 17… y no hacía más que repetir lo solo que se sentía… que él nunca había viajado solo.
· Que los españoles somos distintos… como los españoles… que que mal se sentía en Londres, que es donde vivía, conduciendo un autobús de dos pisos… al parecer, los ingleses son gente fría con la que no se puede hacer nada ni tomar copas ni nada entre semana y que no se relacionan…
· Que echaba de menos la puta con la que estuvo liado en Tailandia… se había ido a Jamaica, gracias a Dios… porque sino hubiera acabado en Bagkog líado de nuevo con la puta… pero que vaya mierda… porque las mujeres solo iban por el dinero…
· Que se había peleado con su novia portuguesa de Londres… porque los dos eran muy temperamentales… todo el día a gritos…
· Que no podía hacer sus ejercicios… que le gustaba mantenerse en forma pero estaba puteado porque no había forma de hacer nada desde que había llegado…
· Que vaya pena que le daba yo porque le recordaba a él… y que pena se daba él mismo porque veía en mí lo que él era y no le gustaba nada… gracias por lo que me toca macho…
· Para más INRI… el italianillo era cocinero… y estaba horrorizado con lo sucia y mierda que era la cocina… habría otro episodio graciosito limpiando la cocina antes de hacerles unos espaguetis a los del hostal…
- otra cosa. estaba horrorizado con Berlusconi... aparentemente todo el mundo está pasándolo fatal con él... como los italinillos de México... y todo el mundo diciendo que Zapatero es estupendo y no sé que...

Y mientras escuchaba al italiano quejarse y llorar… y me preguntaba si en 5 años estaría yo igual… o peor… esperando a llevar a la irlandesa al aeropuerto… que no era más que una forma de agarrarme a algo que no tengo y quiero… me quedé dormido…
And while listening to the bloody moaning from the italian… and asking myself whether that’ll be me in 5 years time… getting some sleep before I take Molly Malone (I just found she was from Dublin,… MM, I mean…) to the airport… gripping what was nothing but something the image of something I wish I had but I don´t… I felt asleep