sábado, octubre 29, 2005

I FINALLY EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE' S REPUTATION

When I first got to Baltimore, i asked a couple of times, specially to the relocation agent, how do americans look at Baltimore, what the city is known for besides crabs... I mean... Bostonians are tight-lips, Miamians are spanish-speakers, Newyorkers... well,... whatever... I didn't know about Baltimore.
She remained silent.
Then I heard it is one of the cities with the highest crime rates in the country. Apparently, a guy is shot at daily. Never ever anything happened to me. I've always been kinda lucky with all that. My brother was robbed 3 times back in Madrid, close to our place. I never was. In fact, stupidely, I slept more than once on public parks, private and gated gardens, got back home fully pissed after a solid night out through some non-go areas in Madrid. Bloody hammered. Walking for miles and miles not knowing where I was going. Making it wrong while I strided unconsciously, swinging from one side to the other of the pavement.
I always had a Safe Angel looking after me. That's why I never play lottery or gamble. I don't wanna waste my luck unproductively. You never can tell when you' ll be needing it...
Don't get scared about 2day. What happend is that somody yesterday night smashed the driver's window of the Lemon-Wagon and stole the stereo. Unluckily he didn't grab any WP. I didn't have my shades on the glove-box. Good!! But I rather get it fixed... the autumn is here... and all the rain they lack in Madrid... I might be getting it all...
All that because I got up with a knock on my door from a cop from the BPD. It's not nice being on a foreign country and having a cop waking you up...
I had more interaction with law enforcement agencies in the last 18 months than in 29 years in Spain... and when I ever met any... I always got pretty troublesome...
I still have to renew my insurance... I don't dare to figure out how much it will be...
Well. Please see some snaps of what my car looks like at this point:
Notice the dent on the right wing from Easter'05 due to the accidente Jove, Magio and Pakotxo had out in White Marsh. See how the boot doesn't close fully since Obesso figured out that to close a regular boot fully, you have to make sure there is room enough in between the lid and the top of the suitcases, that they do not selfcompress magically... that the lid needs getting down through its railings and that if there is a laptop blocking it, it turns out to be likely that you bend the screen and will be charged $700 for repairs... On the driver's door, you'll see that there is no window glass. I had it bursted the night before. Notice the bits on the mat ($206... out from my card...)
Sucks mate!!!!

I miss Europe. I was flipping through Miguel's blog, (http://maloosheck.blogspot.com) and it took me to what appeared to be one of his polish friend's blog. A girl living in Michigan(http://www.iskra.name/~kamil/blog/). Apparently she went recently to Edinburgh.
I wouldn't mind getting back there... making the Military Tatoo once... at least... I'll allways regret I'll never take dad there... that's life mate...
It's unbeliveable how little I care about this country... I know, for instance, Miguel has similar views... all of us europeans, from our accute selfindulgment, we are excessivelly critic and unfair with this country... I don't know whether those blogs might be bugged... but loads of books could be written with all the shit we throw at our hosts... it might be an excuse... a selfdefence mechanism... I cannot tell... but we definitively have more prejudicies than objectivism... we are too prone to criticise and barely praise...
Have we been lectured this way? Is this part of the multipolarism our polititians try to steer us through? Are we that different? Antiamericanism is huge nowdays in Europe, but it is fostered artificially in most countries... most europeans feel too confortable on a peace they didn't fight for...
I'll criticise this side of the pond on another post...

PS: I had the window repaired. $200. :-(